Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Ian Has Turned One!!!

So...this one is a little late. With all of the hub-bub of buying a home and moving, it kept getting put off. Here it is:

Ian had his first birthday on July 11th! We had a BBQ and water party at Grandma Duke's house that afternoon. There was a kiddie pool and slip n' slide for the littles, and visiting for the adults. We had grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins and friends over and it was a lot of fun! I felt horrible though because I didn't have the time or the energy to put into Ian's first birthday party that I had put into Benjamin's first. Decorations were neglected, food was cheap and quick and the cake was not what I had wanted. Stephen had to keep reminding me that it was not a statement of my preference or love for one boy over the other, that Ian would not remember or care, and that we were still trying to recover from the stress of our house. The things I worry about sometimes...

My heart broke a little when we sang happy birthday to Ian for the first time; my baby was gone!

He would only eat cheetos for dinner. We eventually gave up the fight and let him. After all, he only turns one once, right?!


Unlike his brother, Ian loved smashing and eating his cake, though you wouldn't know it by his facial expressions.







Ian wasn't as interested in opening presents. He kept trying to run away with his favorite present; an orange ball from aunt Brooke.






To make things a little easier, aunt Brooke had also gotten Benjamin a ball. Bless her.




Some fun one-year facts about Ian:

  • He started walking at 11 months old and has been trying to run to keep up with big brother since.
  • Unlike Benjamin, he hates to play alone and is constantly seeking out companionship. Also unlike his brother, he LOVES to cuddle and that makes me happy.
  • His favorite (and most used) word is "Yeeahhh!" He likes to use it whenever Benjamin asks him if he wants to play or go outside. Their little conversations make me smile :)
  • He is a very serious boy, usually wearing a concentrated or concerned expression. He is likewise a lot more mellow than Benjamin, preferring to watch and see rather than do and explore.
  • He is my carb baby, eating breads, crackers and cereal. He will gobble down fruits and vegetables in their pureed form, but not in their natural form. So he has texture issues.
  •  He can sure hold his own! With a 2 year old for a big brother, Ian is often pushed around and taken advantage of. He has no problem, though, chasing Benjamin down to "get even." 
  • Even if he is in a bad mood, the minute he hears music he is busting a move!
  • His favorite pass-time is blowing raspberries to himself and laughing.
  • He is a COMPLETE mama's boy, which I love. No matter where I go, I can always count on having a little tag-a-long blowing raspberries right behind me.





We are grateful every day that were blessed with this sweet little boy! Life would certainly be a little more gray without him. We love you, Ian Delaine!

No comments:

Post a Comment